Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Write that down

So, when funny things happen in my classroom (daily), I usually text it to someone and we laugh about it. But last night my dad suggested I write some of them down, so I wouldn't forget. These two happened yesterday. 
 

The above sentence was written by a chunk of a boy in my class. He is Navajo, squat and square and built like a linebacker (his head seems to have been placed directly on his shoulders). He is very quiet and respectful in class. He usually will not speak unless I speak to him first. So, you can imagine my surprise, when I read his vocabulary test. I laughed out loud, alone in my classroom, at his response.

Meet Scott. :) He is a squirrely young man who is constantly on the move in class, even if he's seated (he puts his arms out back behind him like wings and wiggles them -- I have asked him repeatedly where he's going when he does this, but have not received anything more than a smile in response). Another one of my favorites, even though some days he exasperates me! Yesterday, while taking a test after recess, he complained of his left ear hurting him. He has more energy than anyone I have ever taught, but is a good-natured boy, who doesn't know how to be manipulative yet. When he complains about something, I know it's legitimate. So I sent him to the nurse with a pass. Everyone else continued to test ... silently. Ten minutes later, Scott bursts back into the (quiet) room, proclaiming, "I had DIRT in my ear! She cleaned it out -- but that's what was hurting my ear!" with such enthusiasm you would have thought he discovered historical treasure. He skipped back to his seat, continued his test. Approximately three seconds later, he piped up that his foot was asleep. SMH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revive yo self, girl.

Hi! It's been a while. Life happened and I forgot to write it down.  I read a book recently. One that made me think long after I fin...