Saturday, June 15, 2013

Wrapping up at 48th & McDowell

It's hard to even do this. Write about my last day at Brunson-Lee. I sort of don't have words, which is why I've included several pictures to do some of the speaking for me. (Sigh.) Here we go.
 
 
 Had a hard time sleeping the night before, my mind was frantically searching, thinking, remembering and contemplating. Bounced out of bed before my alarm Friday morning (I know -- this NEVER happens), and started getting ready. Tried not to think about the significance of this day, but my stomach started cramping up anyway. Thank goodness my friend Shannon was there to calm my nerves. :) Out the door earlier than normal to get to a final morning meeting. Drove down the freeway with my windows down and music loud. Taking Ernesto's advice and breathing deeply.
 

 
My beloved school on our final morning together.

 
 Morning meeting, sitting next to my girl. Filling out 301 paperwork and got recognized for my time at B-L with kind words and a gift, along with the handfuls of other staff members who were leaving for their own adventures. (Miss you, Kaitlyn, Brittany, Kristen, Amanda, Christy, and Annie.)
 
 
 Got to my room to find these monkeys sitting outside my door. They damn near tackled me with hugs. We got our classroom ready for the last day.
 
 
 By the time I picked up my class outside on the playground and walked back to room 111, my desk was immediately filled with flowers, cards and gifts from my sweet boys and girls.
 
"Dear Ms. Warriner, thank you for helping my daughter. You are a special person for our family. Good luck in everything you do."
 
"Dear Ms. Warriner, There's no words to express my gratitude for helping me to deal with (student), he has changed a lot even at home. He used to be very shy and now he's more open to talk and express his feelings. Thank you so much, and it was a very blissful year having you as my teacher too. God bless you."
 
{Choked up}
 
And then, found this note taped to my door from our academic coach:
 
 
 
 
 We enjoyed our morning together, watching Michael Jackson music videos, chatting, cleaning and watching Matilda. Lunch time, waiting in line proved to be too much for them to handle :)
 
 
 End of the day photo -- Clarence didn't make it to school today. He's the only one missing in this class shot. Remember when bunny ears were cool?
 
 
 Then my room was empty. And this is my cry face. :(
I cried because a student broke down crying and clinging to me like she would never let go at dismissal and more than one followed suit; because a father of one of my boys came up to me, shook my hand and said "Thank you so much;" (I cried in front of him as he said that -- how embarrassing!); because my principal was watching me walk back to my classroom with a trail of kids following me because they didn't want to go home; because several moms came into my room and couldn't express their words in English very well, so they just looked at me with wet eyes and hugged me instead; because when everyone left, my room was silent and I knew this experience for me was over and another one was about to begin.
 
 
So, as in some cases where emotions run high, I ran to Casey Moore's Oyster Bar with the rest of our staff and drank, laughed and reminisced.
 
 
My personal and professional life has been enriched beyond the stars by this school, team, co-workers, students and community. It has been one wild ride.
See you later, gators.

Much love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revive yo self, girl.

Hi! It's been a while. Life happened and I forgot to write it down.  I read a book recently. One that made me think long after I fin...