Tuesday, May 28, 2013

From there to here

   Although this journey started in earnest in January, it feels like it's been much longer than that. And I say that with love, Footprints. Kinda.
   Fanning through my International Teaching folder in my Gmail account, my earliest e-mails I have are dated Jan. 9, 2013. A return e-mail from the International School of Bangkok and verification of my teacher profile for a website called Teacherhorizons.
   "Welcome to Teacherhorizons.You have taken the first step towards finding your dream job in an international school."
   Indeed.
   Throughout January I sent my name, resume, teaching experience, cover letter after cover letter after personal statement around the world. Trying desperately to hook someone with my passion for kids and motivation to reach them through good teaching. I applied to various cities (rural and urban) in China and S. Korea (so many jobs, so little time) Malaysia and Indonesia (one of my higher-ranked locations initially, but required teaching abroad experience, UK-based curriculum experience), Europe (not many jobs here that I saw on the sites I frequented .. at least in locations I'd like to live in), Africa (Malawi, Egypt), South America (Guatemala), and the Middle East (Oman, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Syria, UAE). Below is a timeline of how I hopped on the Footprints/UAE train so quickly.
   Jan. 29, 2013: I registered with Footprints Recruiting to apply for a job in Abu Dhabi, UAE. It was one of many application packages I was juggling. I got confirmation from Sean with Footprints the same day that my application and resume had been reviewed that they wanted to start the application process with me for the jobs they had in Abu Dhabi.
   "After your successful completion of the application package, you will work with a Placement Coordinator who will assist you in applying to ADEC. Footprints will provide you with all the information we have about the positions we are offering so you can make the most informed decision about where you want to go and the expectations of the position. Best of luck."
   Jan. 30: "Hi Kaitlin, Thank you for sending through your documentation -- it looks excellent. My name is Alison and I am part of the ADEC placement team at Footprints. I have updated your file and after review, will be moving forward with your application. Please stand by as we will be contacting you for a hone interview in the next two weeks."
   Feb. 6: Skype interview with Sean @ Footprints.
   Feb. 8: I got an e-mail congratulating me on passing my phone/Skype interview!
   Feb. 12: Forms, forms and more forms: medical, application, oh - and a zillion passport photos. And repetitive e-mails from Footprints with no new information :/
  Feb. 26: FINALLY got an e-mail confirming my in-person interview with ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council) in Phoenix (a block from my apartment, downtown) on March 18. + a list of more forms, applications, etc. to fill out and bring to the Hilton. Feeling like Footprints is a little unorganized at this point, but just too ecstatic about my in-person confirmation to care!!!
   From this date until March 18, I buried myself under Abu Dhabi/ADEC history, facts, opinions, attractions, education reform, outcomes-based education and ESL teaching techniques. I am a bundle of nerves for this entire three weeks.
   Sleeping. Dreaming. Thinking. Breathing. Abu Dhabi.
   Sample interview questions Alison e-mailed me ("Gulp"):
·         What do you know about ADEC and Abu Dhabi?
·         Why teach for ADEC NOW?
·         Why should you be hired as a foreigner in their country?
·         Explain the theory of second language acquisition.
·         How do you engage second language learners?
·         Please explain how you would teach a set topic using differentiated teaching methods.
·         What would your class look like at the beginning of the school year and then again in six months?
·         If your class was noisy, how would you explain this to an Emirati principal if they came in?
·         What behaviour management strategies do you use? 
·         How do you assess your students (formally and informally)?
·         What does rigour look like?
·         How would you work with a local principal who doesn’t understand your teaching practice?
·         If a parent who is friends with the principal argues over changing the student’s grade, how would you handle that?
·         How would you respond to a parent who interrupts your class to talk to you about their students’ grade?
   LORD. The interview was so nervewracking! It was everything Footprints said it would be -- a group briefing session, followed by individual interviews with ADEC members. I, of course, got stuck with the leader of ADEC, in a small room. Just her and I. And, GOD, I was nervous. My heat-pack was in full "ON and popping" mode. Truthfully, I walked out of that interview thinking I had completely busted my chances. I fumbled in my answers, I hesitated, I'm sure I even stuttered. Ugh. I walked home, feeling dejected and disappointed.
   However, two days later, on March 20, I received this e-mail: "Thank you so much for attending the interview in Phoenix. ADEC briefed me after the interview on all the candidates, and they have recommended you for placement in Abu Dhabi. Congratulations, this is fantastic news. Nonetheless, the official letter of offer will take a couple of weeks to process as they have to go through various departments and get approvals from different people. It’s a large government, and thus there is a fair amount of red tape involved. As I said, it will be a couple weeks before official results will be made, so hang in there."
   I think I was in class when I saw this e-mail and wanted to jump and scream, but couldn't. Oh, I actually think my class was taking state standardized tests on this day. So I actually had to be extra quiet. But, man, did I want to scream. As I scanned the room, I thought about how blessed I was...
   March 25: Email from Footprints. "The letter of offer stipulates pay, but you will not know where you are placed until you arrive in Abu Dhabi (WHAT?!?!). The feedback I got from the interview team suggests you will be in the city. Did they say which year/level they would put you forward for? They loved your enthusiasm, by the way."
   April 15: Received official letter of offer via e-mail!!!
  
   Following that point, I received checklist after checklist to get documents ready for my work visa (holy cow - there is a lot that goes into these things: criminal background check at the national level, two professional letters of reference, a colored copy of the photo page of passport, four clear and colored passport photos (MORE?!) on a white background, and attested highest degree and teaching license). Last Friday, May 24, I scanned the last of these documents in to Footprints. I have heard via a recent e-mail from Footprints, that I will be "arriving in Abu Dhabi in mid-August."
 

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! I think it's awesome that you are going on this adventure and I think you will do an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn!!! I hope so :) I will keep you posted.

      Delete

Revive yo self, girl.

Hi! It's been a while. Life happened and I forgot to write it down.  I read a book recently. One that made me think long after I fin...