Sunday, June 30, 2013

Climbing


I walked into my last dentist appointment on Friday (no cavities!) and as soon as I laid back in the chair, I heard this song, "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus playing. I know, I know. Not normally my style, but my kids sang this song at their Christmas concert and hearing it brought back memories of playing the CD in class and having their little voices ring out practicing the lyrics -- even the boys :) And I starting missing their faces so much.

Then, as I started listening to their voices in my head and the song on the radio, I heard the lyrics for what felt like the first time. And it synced to everything that has been sliding in and out of my head over these last few months, and for perhaps, much longer than that. I'm 29 years old and have lived a life so far filled with much grace, joy and laughter ... and this song sang in eight-year-old squeaky off-tune voices inside my mind in that dental chair reminded me that I have much more life to live, many more obstacles to jump, children to teach, people to meet and experiences to grow from. Although it has not and will not be easy, I always say, 'The good stuff is never easy to obtain, otherwise everyone would have gathered baskets full by now.'

As the hygienist came to take x-rays, she asked several questions (which I struggled with as my mouth was full of plastic and cardboard) about what I do and then about moving out of the country in August.

Her: "Are you married?"
Me: "No."
Her: "Do you have kids?"
Me: "None of my own."
Her: (Sigh) "I've always wanted to do something like you're doing, but I got pregnant."
        "Are you scared?"
Me: "Yes."
Her: "Where is Abu Dhabi, exactly?"
Me: "Near Saudi Arabia -- the middle east."
Her: "Is it safe there?"
Me: "I have heard it is the safest country in the middle east."
Her: "Do you have to cover everything on your body when you go out?"
Me: "I hope so, temperature gets to 130 degrees."
Her: "You're joking, right?"

It's interesting to watch people's (usually complete strangers) faces when they hear where I am going. First look registered is shock, then worry, followed by confusion. The questions they ask are stereotypes ... most of which I hope I can disprove upon arrival.

Dang, I will be on a plane headed as far from home as one can get in six weeks or less ... am I ready for this?!?!

5 comments:

  1. I swear, I get that EXACT same conversation at least once a week! Too funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other questions I get that I have no answers for are, "So, when do you leave?" "What grade will you be teaching?" "Where will you be living?" "WHAT?! You won't find out until AFTER you arrive?!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup....

    "How do your parents feel about you leaving?" (I'm 32 years old...)

    "2 years!!!!! That is so long!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here! What DID your parents think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents know that I would not jump into anything without researching it thoroughly, so they are ok with my decision. I know they will miss me, but that is more reason to come and visit!

    ReplyDelete

Revive yo self, girl.

Hi! It's been a while. Life happened and I forgot to write it down.  I read a book recently. One that made me think long after I fin...