Monday, August 3, 2015

Middle East to the Far East

   There were a lot of Asians on our flight from LAX to SFO and from SFO to HKG: no surprise there. Instead of being inundated with Arabic, we are surrounded by Chinese; Cantonese or Mandarin, I can't be sure. People are chatty and polite, but oblivious. Any waiting or lining up is definitely not a priority. Moving quickly and sitting in their airplane seats takes a while. Mike is not amused so far. There is a large group of English immersion students on board with us, all wearing blue shirts. They look to be 13-15 years old. We are on a B747 with no seat-front TVs! I know. First world problems, but dang, thirteen hours with no individual TV? I have a radio in my arm rest (happily listening to "Whistle While You Work It" while passengers continue to board) and supposedly free in-flight wifi (would be a first) and isle TVs. I am sitting in a two-seat patch with Mike. He's window, I'm aisle. Across the aisle from me is a skinny Asian boy about eight with high water jeans and a fuzzy buzz cut who I've snuck smiles over to. Time to take off!
   We landed safely around 6 p.m. and we experienced a quick custom line thanks to our work visas giving us residency, luggage that came quickly and one right after the other and a smooth scoop up by two AIS teachers named Sophie and Meghan. They were so cute, holding up a yellow welcome sign with my name on it. They seamlessly put us on a bus to our hotel where we were greeted by a third AIS teacher called Laura, who gave me a welcome bag (with wine!, an Octopus card - for metro travel - travel adapter and more) and assisted us in checking in, where we collapsed on the bed in wonderment. Stressful transition? I don't think so! We later wandered out to explore and get food. Bed finally at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revive yo self, girl.

Hi! It's been a while. Life happened and I forgot to write it down.  I read a book recently. One that made me think long after I fin...