Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Stuff gets real

Good evening. So, here I am on Saturday, the first week of orientation over. I spent all week in meetings with my ES principal, learning about school procedures, calendar, events and technology. We met about the reading program Fountas and Pinnell and practiced coding running records. Supplies and furniture were dropped off in my classroom and technology was checked. I had an individual welcome meeting with the head of school and we had our first newbie staffTwitter session. Note: I need to get an educational Twitter handle going asap. After lunches this week, I got my temporary Hong Kong ID card, set up local phone service and bank account (cashing my first school check for relocation allowance). Mike and I explored Mong Kok (where my hotel was) and went on several apartment-viewing appointments across the city. We found one place that we were sure we were going to sign on Thursday in an area called Sai Ying Pun, but then decided against it after sleeping on it. The place was a clever studio with brand new renovations in a great neighborhood for HK$19,500/month (US$2,500/month), but did not have a great looking outside facade, was a walk-up (no lift), no live security and had loose wires hanging out in the stairwell.



             

You can see what I mean.

The search continues.

One last detail about this week was our scavenger hunt on Friday (the hottest day of the year with a typhoon coming...great). We were split up into teams and sent to Central, Wan Chai and TST to take group photos with our team flag. We saw minions and a bride along the way. We all ate an Indian meal together in Chunking Mansions and ended up at a pub called East Side Tavern in East TST and came home to take a massive shower. Mike and I moved into his hotel today (Saturday) and we're here for two weeks as our apartment hunt continues. Now, off to watch the rugby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revive yo self, girl.

Hi! It's been a while. Life happened and I forgot to write it down.  I read a book recently. One that made me think long after I fin...