Monday, October 7, 2013

I get by with a little help from my friends

Today was rough. I cried three times. I felt like I was drowning in work. I was frustrated and irritated with myself that I couldn't snap out of whatever this funk was and get my ish together. People were counting on me: my principal, my HOF's, my parents, my students, and my coworkers. And I felt like I was letting each and every group down over and over again. I just couldn't keep my head above water, nor find solid footing when it came to work.

After our PD meeting today, my coworkers and friends, Jacinta and Eimear calmed me down and told me all the things I was doing right and told me to bing home the load of tests I needed to grade and enter and they would help. On the car ride home, the two continued to reassure me, along with our friend, Jennifer. Upon reaching Beach Towers and under strict orders to "have a cup of tea" and take a half hour to myself (which I spent a good chunk of lying on the cold, hard floor, first crying and then pulling myself together) Eimear, Jacinta, my neighbor Kevin, and friend John all piled on my couch and knocked out test after test. Kevin even brought a pizza!

The process started at 4:30 and ended by 8:30. Without my circle of friends here and handfuls of people (so many new!) who make it a point to show up in my life when they know I need it the most, I flounder. With these people and my family, I flourish.

Jennifer, Jacinta, Eimear, Kevin and John - this is for you! Shukran :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revive yo self, girl.

Hi! It's been a while. Life happened and I forgot to write it down.  I read a book recently. One that made me think long after I fin...